Thursday, October 2, 2008

Eclipse and Breaking Dawn

I already reviewed the first two books in the Twilight series and tried to leave out Spoilers, but I think on these next two, if you read the reviews, it will give information on the first two books so if you don't want to have the first two books spoiled, skip this review.

Eclipse
Bella Swan's life has returned to normal. Her vampire boyfriend Edward Cullen is back in her life and she is constantly spending time with him. Unfortunately, her father, Charlie, still doesn't like Edward, still wants her to spend time with Jacob Black, and still wants her to go to college. Bella is ready to begin her epic romance with Edward and never go to college, but there's a catch. She doesn't want just any vampire to turn her, she wants Edward to do it but he has decided that she must do some things before he would be willing to turn her. Bella also misses her best friend Jacob, a werewolf who doesn't approve of vampires (werewolves and vampires are natural enemies), and does not want to choose between him and Edward. To keep on piling on her troubles, Bella is still being hunted by Victoria (a vampire that wants revenge for the death of her mate), there have been a series of deaths in Seattle that have been caused by newborn vampires, and the Volturi are expecting Bella to be turned and have promised to check up on her to make sure the deed has been done.


Breaking Dawn
Bella Swan is engaged to become Mrs. Edward Cullen as this book begins. She is ready to immerse herself in the world of vampires and to give up her life forever. But there's one little problem. Being engaged means that Bella is going to get married, an event that she has dreaded for years. Then there's another problem, in choosing Edward, she has hurt Jacob so intensely that he has run away from home and is spending his life as a werewolf in Northern Canada. Will Jacob return? What will happen after the wedding? Will Bella become a vampire? And what about the Volturi who are still eager to know if Bella has become a vampire or if she should be killed to keep their secret?


I thoroughly enjoyed these books. In fact, I loved the entire series and want to read Midnight Sun as soon as Stephenie Meyer is up to writing it again after it was illegally posted online by someone that had a manuscript that wasn't prepared to print (though she posted a copy online later realizing that people would search for it more after she commented on it - I downloaded the draft, but I am waiting for the book and plan to compare the book to the draft at a later date out of curiosity). Even with the fantastical aspects of the story, Bella's feelings are real and understandable. When reading from Jacob's point of view, I understood his struggle and felt more fondness for him. I honestly was Team Edward from the start, and may have switched to Team Jacob at some point if I wasn't aware of the teams (well, fan teams for each guy) which told me that Edward had to come back. The thing is, even as Team Edward, I still rooted for Jacob to have a fair shot when he was around. I wanted him to reveal his feelings to Bella, but I also wanted them to remain friends. Even if Breaking Dawn had mixed reviews, I think that it was great. Maybe because I wasn't anticipating it for so long and building the story up in my head (I merely waiting a few hours or a day between finishing Eclipse and beginning Breaking Dawn), I absolutely loved the final chapter to the saga. Whether or not all questions were answered? I don't know. But I do feel that the ending was satisfying and followed in the footsteps of the previous three books without missing a beat.

A-Z Challenge
currently reading *Fredericks, Mariah - The True Meaning of Cleavage*

No comments: