Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

So my sister absolutely adores The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. She has read it, like, a thousand times (hyperbole). Anyways, my sister suggested that I read this book and as it is shorter than the other books that I was thinking about reading, I chose to read it first. Also, Avi will be a great author choice for the A-Z Challenge.

Charlotte Doyle is a thirteen year old girl who sets sail on the Seahawk to return to her family in America (she's been at a finishing school in England). During her trip, her father asks her to write a journal describing everything that happens. Upon her arrival in Providence, he will read her journal and check for any spelling errors. When the Seahawk sets sail on June 16, 1832, Charlotte is the only passenger accompanying Captain Jaggery and his crew. Charlotte soon becomes friends with Captain Jaggery, as well as Zachariah, a member of the crew. When the Captain asks Charlotte to be his eyes and ears around the ship in order to learn if and when the crew plans to revolt, Charlotte has to decide where her allegiances lie.

An excerpt - the first two lines of the book:
"Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago."

This book has a great coming of age story. Charlotte becomes a new person aboard the ship, and she also makes for a great heroine. I would recommend this book to all ages.


A-Z Challenge
completed - *Avi - The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle*
currently reading after receiving it for my birthday - *Twilight - Stephenie Meyer*

No comments: